I'm no longer afraid of what I can't do. I'm afraid of what happens if I don't try.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

STUFFED!


Something was stuffed for dinner and it wasn't me! Ya'll, I used to have these when I was a kid and I loved them. Stuffed bell peppers!

They're just the food that brings back "home" for me, kwim? So I tried making them years ago when I was first learning how to cook. They were a DISASTER. Mario hated them so much, it's the only thing he's ever asked me never to cook again. So I didn't.

The other day, I was flipping through Family Fun magazine and I saw my comfort food staring back at me. Too funny that it wasn't french fries, or a burrito, or a double juicy cheeseburger for once. It was a bell pepper in all its glory. I decided Tuesday would be THE night. I would do it. Mario has class on Tuesday nights so I'd be alone to cook in peace without the cara that surely would have accompanied the news that "stuffed bell peppers" was for dinner.

The good thing is that while the peppers were boiling (uh, the step I missed the last time I made these), I got to get a 30 minute workout in. Yea!! (It is also helpful to find a 14yr old child that calls you mom and is trying to make up for getting in trouble, to check the peppers for you every 10 minutes). So there I was dancing to this CRUNCH video. Uh has anyone ever tried these videos? So it's this white chick right (no offense, some of my best friends are white!--famous classic, i'm not racist line, right?--no but seriously, my dad is white, so step off). Anyway, there she is doing the latin party urging me to get LOCO. Seriously, I've never felt so uncoordinated before in my life. I mean, you can't have party music on in the bakcground and then instruct me to do the mambo and the cha cha...give me something I can work with! But I digress, the point is, a workout was had and 2 points was earned for my team..hollar!!

After I finished my workout, I came to finish my dinner. Now that I am super smart and stuff, I omitted any oil, butter, etc. A bit of cooking spray goes a long way. A bit of low-fat spaghetti sauce, goes even further..and measuring out your cheese gives you the taste, without the guilty feeling and frequent lactose-intolerant potty breaks. Anyway, long story short, my peppers were then baked and they.came.out.DELISH. The entire family agreed (minus Mo, he's still in class). But my biggest food critic (she comes in the form of a 3 year old and answer to Tita) ate every last bite on her plate...uh whuuuuut? So I got a healthy meal. Made an extra one for lunch for tomorrow and have gotten a little taste of my former "home". They came out bomb. I'll give you Mario's review when he gets home, but only if he's nice.

Toodles!!

4 comments:

Gina said...

I want the recipe!

CancunCanuck said...

Yahoo, you go girl! So great that the whole family enjoyed too!

Anonymous said...

Are you inviting me for dinner?? Please.. I can't wait. Good job, girl. i am so proud of you!!!

BB Mama said...

Giniqua--I'll send it to you manana!

Kel--girl you should see the caras Tita gives every single night...I NO LIKE DAT

Luz--anytime honey, anytime!